Monday, March 25, 2013

S.T.E.M Diversity Event Review

Recently I had the opportunity to attend a diversity event and I honestly could've come up with several other ways to spend my afternoon.  I am not knocking STEM events but there are a few things about this event that bothered me.  First of all, I registered for the event and subsequently sent an email asking for a list of what employers would be there.  The event was advertised that 2 companies would have speakers there along with representatives from other companies.  I love to research people and companies, especially if I know that I 'm going to be interacting with a representative.  In my mind this is good practice at any level regardless of if you are a student or not. When I sent the email, I was told that I would receive a list when I arrived at the event.  Needless to say, I was not pleased when I arrived that there were no representatives there from any other companies.  The second complaint I have is concerning the students that showed up.  It baffles me that students will come to a professional event with professional networking opportunities and wear jeans and a tshirt.  I was also stunned at how little the attending students seemed to know about decorum and how to conduct themselves.  If i had known the level of the students that were attending I would not have gone.  The event was probably more of a benefit for those who are BEHIND the curve on how to represent their brand and reach their career goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment