Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Endorsements not all they are cracked up to be on LinkedIn

http://www.linkedin.com/e/euikez-heqx0ser-56/nab/5720234406476513332/true/weekly/eml-ced-b-art-N-3/?hs=false&tok=3IboHAIScKZlE1

I totally agree with this article!!!  I have tried to shy away from endorsements due to the fact that I do not believe that one click of a button determines that one actually has built trust and confidence with others in the specified skills.  In my mind, an endorsement is like co-signing on an auto loan or a lease.  You should always do so sparingly and with care.  With that being said, I have been endorsed on LinkedIn before and I do appreciate the compliment from classmates, but with that being said....it is still just a compliment.  Compliments do not get you jobs, provide deliverables or even land you interviews.  Truth be told, I have exposed myself to many technologies but I am reticent to put them on my resume and unless I am confidents that I have a significant working knowledge of the technology.  Most hiring managers have many years of experience and when I think of the subjects that I know a great deal about, it takes me just a few seconds to identify a person that has a similar, higher or lower knowledge level.  Therefore, I am careful about the skills I claim to have and I think that this feature on LinkedIn is much too easily accessible.  I equate this feature with the "Like" button on Facebook.  There is nothing wrong with it, but it shouldn't carry a lot of weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment